Friday, October 1, 2010

"Man Up!"

I was at home this past weekend and I came across a Newsweek sitting on my parent’s coffee table and found some serious inspiration (which is usually what ends up happening when I go home). The cover article that caught my eye was titled Man Up: Why We Need to Reimagine Masculinity.


Upon begging my mom to let me keep the copy of Newsweek (that’s right, I’m not ashamed of admitting that I still mooch off my mama), I returned to school and actually sat down and read the article which can be found here: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/20/why-we-need-to-reimagine-masculinity.html.


What I found in the article was an argument for the rethinking of masculine roles in the workplace and at home. Now, I (thankfully) am perfectly comfortable in my masculinity to fully accept the need for me to do things like changing diapers and cooking meals for my loved ones if I end up having children. The article was a stark reminder for me the unfortunate restrictions that gender roles play in society because I, long ago (we’re talking like 11 or 12 years old), accepted the aforementioned tasks as a part of every father’s life.


The other main topic addressed in the article is the fact that if men are serious about being successful in the work place, it’s time to rethink the stereotypes that surround certain jobs. As construction work and other “manly” types of work shrink, the need for nurses and other “girly” jobs are on the rise. The issue here is whether or not we as a society are able to help convert the norms of masculinity from industrial work to the social services.


I’m on board with the reimagining of what it means to be masculine. Now the question: How do we get others to that point as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment