Friday, December 3, 2010

It’s a Very Gay Day

I came across this article in the Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/30/illinois-civil-unions-bil_1_n_790147.html) and was happy about the Civil Rights bill that was passed on Wednesday by the Illinois legislature. Like most good articles I find, I immediately thought of this as something I wanted to share on the WRC blog.

But after a moment of thought, I found myself wondering why I cared so much and why this was something I wanted to blog about. After all, I’m a feminist and while feminism and the LGBT issues are very much intertwined, there are still so many injustices that should be addressed and confronted in our society (like equal pay issues and stricter sexual assault sentencing for those who perpetrate violent crimes for example). It almost felt as if there was no time to celebrate because there is so much work to be done!

Taking time to think about this (only a short moment before getting back to my work), I had a very powerful realization. It dawned on me that yes there is so much work to be done, and there is still injustice that our society needs to deal with, we must take time to celebrate the victories when they happen. So, today you can see me take a breath of fresh air and be thankful for the small step in correcting injustice on such a gay day.

No comments:

Post a Comment