Friday, May 7, 2010

The End of a Sarah Era


Today is my last day at the WRC. Before I leave I'll take the key off of my key ring and leave it in my mailbox. And the next chapter of the Sarah Saga will begin.

I've had "last days" at other jobs before. My last day as a house cleaner came 2 days earlier than planned after the sudden death of my grandmother. I was just glad that she had seen me receive my Associates degree 2 weeks prior, and she knew I was on the "right track" again after I had dropped out of school for a few years. I was in a weird place when I transferred to NIU a few months later; I was grieving and extremely lonely (the 2 other NIU students I knew were commuters). I remember there were days when the only people I actually spoke to were cashiers or people I accidentally bumped into in the hall.

That all changed when I began volunteering at the WRC to fill up some of my spare time. Everyone was very friendly and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. This place has changed my life. I have grown very close to my co-workers here. We all share and celebrate the good things going on in our lives. We laugh a lot and have a lot of fun together. And we are passionate about equality and social justice. These bonds are strong, and I will never forget the memories I have made here.

I have grown so much during my time here. When I first started as an employee, I was shy and quiet and still in a cloud of loneliness and grief. Gradually I began to feel like myself again, and my fellow Wrc-ers got to see just how much of a weirdo I really am. And they not only accepted my weirdness, but they embraced it. Most of the time.

I am extremely proud of all the awesome things I have done as an employee here at the WRC; my favorite is probably the Rock Against Rape concert held last month. I remember driving home that night after the event, amazed at how well it had gone, and how happy I felt.

I graduate this Saturday, and start my internship just 2 days later. It's a little dizzying (and exciting!) to have things ending and beginning so quickly. I cannot imagine my life without the WRC, and I am ever grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of it.

So long and thanks for all the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment