Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rape Myth Awareness in Scotland

Recently, a Scottish group, Rape Crisis Scotland, has released a PSA that dispels a common rape myth –that women who are raped are “asking for it.” This myth is victim blaming and harmful when trying to understand and prevent rape.

Here is the video:


The PSA is a part of Rape Crisis Scotland’s “Not Ever” campaign.The campaign was developed in response to a study that showed that a large minority of Scottish people believed that in some circumstances women are at least partially responsible for being raped.

I absolutely love this PSA. I think it’s a wonderful first step in dispelling prevalent myths and getting accurate information out there about rape. I hope that this campaign can inspire more like it. Although I’m not sure how likely it is, I would love to see a PSA like this here in the U.S.!


*Edited to include: Check this awesome campaign, also by Rape Crisis Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment