Thursday, June 18, 2009

That "time of the month" again? Consider this...

I’ve never been much of a "ranter," nor do I typically choose to affiliate with one company over the next. Still, I’m not afraid to admit that I am a huge fan of the menstrual cup or, more specifically, the Diva Cup. This must seem so stereotypically feminist…trying to love my body by using safer products, but I can’t help it. Diva Cup manufactures a great product that is female-friendly, environmentally savvy, and economically viable (approx. $30-$35 each). "It is latex-free, BPA-free, plastic-free, and contains no dyes, colors or additives," reports Luna Pads. What’s more, the Diva Cup can be worn for up to 12 hours and can hold approximately 10 pads or tampons worth of blood. One of the other nice perks is that is there is no string to hold back when you are relieving yourself. I could honestly go on and on about how great the Diva Cup is, but it might be more effective to refer to FAQs or testimonials. I’m not kidding, it is a mind-blowing product, and, believe it or not, I’m not even paid to speak well about the company! They are THAT wonderful. If you don’t trust the FDA of America, trust Canada. Diva Cup is the only menstrual cup they will market and sell.

Still, if you don’t like the idea of inserting something (not a tampon fan?), consider trying the equally environmentally friendly Luna Pad. They are "reusable" pads that can be purchased in mass quantity so you have multiple options for each day of your menstrual cycle. Sure, it might be a bit of an adjustment to use reusable pads; however, after they are presoaked, they can be thrown in the washer. Moreover, they are softer and come in a variety of aesthetically pleasing colors and patterns. They also make panty liners that nicely compliment the Diva Cup…fancy that. The Luna Pad website also provides lots of other interesting and fun products, such as (but not limited to) pStyle and postpartum liners. Luna Pad is a great company that has a mission of providing women with safer "alternatives" to typical sanitary products (I feel they should be primary and pads/tampons should be the alternative). Their mission is to "help women have healthier and more positive experiences of their menstrual cycles, and by extension, their bodies overall."

Not convinced yet? Conduct your own research. The last straw that convinced me to switch to the Diva Cup was a list of "Pros" and "Cons." The only con? You have to be intimate with yourself. Really? It was almost like a challenge. I wanted to challenge all those who taught me that menstruating is something you should be ashamed of, something that should be as quick and painless as possible. Adopting the Diva Cup has been an overall learning experience that has taught me a lot about myself as a person. Thus, here is my challenge to you: Do your research. Question the products you are exposing your body to, feminine hygiene or otherwise. You deserve the best and so does your body. I give you the "Diva Cup Challenge." Good luck and happy searching!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I tried this product for the first time this month and I wondered where it has been all my life! I am 44, so I would have liked to have this all along; it would help me with the guilt I feel over all that waste from my past feminine products! It is a bit of a learning process- next month I feel I will have the hang of it more, but well worth it! And who wouldn't want to get to know themselves better? :-) Thanks for the article! I am following you now, saw your link on Twitter.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete