Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Remembering Miep Gies


I heard on NPR this morning that Miep Gies passed away yesterday at the age of 100. She was one of a group of people who hid Anne Frank and her family, as well as four other people, in a secret annex during World War II. She and her fellow helpers smuggled food, writing paper, news of the outside world, and books to those who hid in the attic. She also is responsible for “rescuing” Anne’s diary; she gave it to Anne’s father Otto after the young girl died in the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.

I was amazed by the courage and bravery of this woman. Perhaps the most impressive thing was her refusal to be seen as a hero; she believed that a person should not be celebrated for doing what was right. That kind of conviction can serve as inspiration for all who aim to do the right thing.

1 comment:

  1. Cool post, I hadn't ever heard of her. I like the idea of not being celebrated simply for acting in the right. PS I washed the dishes. I'm a hero! Wait...

    ReplyDelete