Thursday, August 26, 2010

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

You can’t go anywhere without seeing the books or hearing about the movies: Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy. I know I couldn't. For months, I abstained from both the films and the novels, since I’m not being a fan of mysteries, but I recently caved in. And believe it or not, I was wildly impressed.

The novels and the films are jam-packed with feminism and female empowerment embodied by the feisty heroine, Lisbeth. Its overt feminism was the big shocker. In our culture where anything even mildly feminist is mocked, I was thrilled to find a place in pop culture where feminism was so well received.

One reccurring theme throughout the series is that Lisbeth takes care of herself. And others. She’s no damsel in distress, and she certainly doesn’t call on the help of men when faced with tough situations. She’s a taking-care-of-business kind of woman. And that’s something I can get behind.

So, if you’re looking for your next feminist fix, this is it.

*Warning: The film is violent and does contain a graphic rape scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment