Friday, February 12, 2010

Only Time Will Tell....


A NY Daily News article about an internal bra system was recently brought to my attention, and I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. This new type of cosmetic surgery involves placing a cone-shaped piece of mesh called Breform just below the surface of the breast tissue. Over time, the mesh incorporates into the breast when fibrous breast tissue is produced to hold the mesh in place acting like and internal bra that supports and shapes the breast. The purpose of this procedure is to offer an alternative to women who are unhappy with the shape of their breasts, but do not want to undergo a breast lift or augmentation.

When I first read about this new surgery, I was annoyed because it seemed like just another way that women are told to feel bad about their bodies or that their bodies need “fixing”. But as I explored other articles about the Breform implant, I discovered that some women sought out this type of surgery as more of a reconstructive remedy than a I-need-bigger-sexier-boobs surgery. One woman described her pre-surgery breasts as “hanging down as far as the bottom of my ribs, with the nipples misshapen and cooked.” For this woman, the surgery gave her confidence and made her more comfortable sexually. That is a sentiment that I can get on board with.

The Food and Drug Administration has not approved the procedure in the United States and probably will not until the long term effects are studied. However, Given that Breform is a similar material the material that has been used for the last 40 years in Hernia surgery, the prognosis is good. But only time will tell….

No comments:

Post a Comment