Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Around and Around We Go

It’s official! Massachusetts just became the 25th state to offer a “Choose Life” anti-abortion license plate. With the sale of these license plates, revenue generated will fund “emergency pregnancy clinics” that do not inform women of all of the legal options available to them. The recent approval of the MA license plate is a huge success for the pro-life movement, especially compared to the fact that only four states have approved a “Trust Women. Trust Choice.” license plate design set forth by a non-profit organization that advocates for women’s reproductive rights.

This recent victory for the Pro-Life movement is sparking a new wave of frustration and controversy across the blogosphere. It is interesting that our way of assessing which side of the debate on abortion has more supporters is to see how many people will plaster their view on their license plate. I suppose that I just don’t understand why this frustration is present. So, pro-life organizations are putting license plates on the back of cars you can barely see as they fly past you on the interstate, what’s the big deal?


I guess my point is that I don’t see these license plates as a means of activism. I would much rather give money, time, or loyalty to an organization that I respect, rather than using my “tricked-out” license plate to show that I support an organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment