Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Elena Who??????

Yesterday was the official kickoff of confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan. Now, I’m a political nerd who generally loves to watch the confirmation hearings unfold. I mean, who isn’t a fan of unfair questions (from both sides of the aisle), scrutiny of the most boring individuals in the nation, and (my personal favorite) those good old one-liners that are always taken out of context and twisted around to make the nominee look like s/he is either racist, sexist, or pro-choice?
This year, however, I’m not too excited about watching Kagan’s confirmation hearing take place. This lack of enthusiasm isn’t because I’ve lost my love of watching political dog fights, but simply because there’s not a lengthy record of decisions to examine and scrutinize. Kagan was dean of Harvard Law School, Solicitor General, and has never been a judge.

All of this simply means that people that oppose Kagan do so because 1) they don’t know how she will vote on hot button issues such as abortion or gay marriage (boo hoo) or 2) because, with Ginsberg and Sotomayor as justices, they feel as if there is no need for another woman on the Supreme Court. Personally, I believe that at least 5 of the justices should be women since there are now approximately more women than men in this country. But silly me, relinquishing the dominant and subordinate relationship between men and women, especially in government, is not on the docket….. for now.

GO KAGAN, GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment