Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Male Feminism.... Male What?????

Hey everyone!! I would like to take a quick minute to introduce myself. My name is Joe Hartsoe, and this is my first blog for the WRC. I will be starting my third year here at NIU; I study Political Science and Economics, and I enjoy music.


Oh, and I’m a ……………………..male feminist

Now the video was obviously not what male feminism is all about. But yet, one can find jokes making fun of male feminism everywhere. In fact, when I tell others that I'm a male feminist I often get one of two responses which challenge the need for men to be feminist and my masculinity because I support equality of both sexes. Either: A) People assume that I’m homosexual because no man sexually attracted to women could ever be a feminist (which is not true). Or B) People say there’s no reason for men to be feminists because women can take care of themselves. In fact, some have even argued that by my identifying as a feminist, I’m really just continuing the stereotype of men attempting to save the damsel (women in society) in distress.


To these two points of view I say: REALLY?!?!?!?!?!? First of all, men can and, I argue, should identify as feminist. It doesn’t make sense to me, from a heterosexual point of view, to not respect women as equal to men when both sexes are necessary in order to produce future generations who will either make this world better or worse off. To the men out there: Do we really want our daughters/sisters/friends to be paid less than a man doing the same job or passed over for a promotion because male counterparts think that it is wrong that a woman should have authority over male employees? I know I would NEVER want that for my female friends and loved ones.


Furthermore, not being a feminist because it is, allegedly, furthering the idea that women need a man to save them is ludicrous. My identification as a feminist is about standing up for equality of the sexes. I’m not a superhero, and I don’t want to ‘‘save’’ anyone. I am a feminist because I want to see the day when a woman’s intelligence is not questioned based on her sex. I am a feminist because I want to see a day when college campuses will no longer need to educate individuals about sexual assault because rape will no longer occur. I am a feminist because in this day and age, men and women contribute so much that there is no reason to attempt to separate the two into a dominate and subordinate relationship, but rather a interdependent free flowing relationship of respect and equality.




I am a feminist………… Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment