Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Childbirth Robot....WHY???

So I stumbled across this video today. It’s a robot designed to help med student learn how to birth babies without having to practice on an actual human being.



WARNING: This video is potentially disturbing and may not be suitable for all viewers.





I am all about med students getting the training that they need in order to practice medicine. I mean, who really wants to go to a doctor who says, “I’ve never actually done this before.” I’m pretty sure that I can speak for most people when I say NOT ME. However, this robot is creeptastic. What’s with the freaky robot noise? I feel like I could record a better sound effect on my phone... The design of this robot was with good intentions, but the execution of it just comes off awkward and weird. Especially since the robot isn’t even a full female body, merely the necessary parts to practice childbirth. This is once again reducing women to their ability to reproduce and the body parts that are necessary to do so. Maybe I’m reading too much into this…what are your thoughts on the matter?

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious is what I think.

    That sound is absolutely terrible. Although I do think this could be a good training tool and it is definitely not as disgusting as the actual "miracle" of birth. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete